The SO.3 is a cardioid microphone with incredibly high sensitivity, a rich full-bodied sound, and a high end response characterized by a natural and airy presence. All of this packaged in a small form factor designed to be compatible with all of the Sonorous Objects Standard series accessories. When used in near field scenarios, the SO.3 provides excellent environmental noise rejection allowing you to fully focus on your subject without distraction while hearing every micro nuance and detail presented to you in the process. In further field scenarios, the SO.3 captures beautifully spacious and realistic sound fields. If using outdoors, be sure to have ample wind protection as the SO.3’s mic capsule is highly prone to overloading from excessive wind sounds and plosives. The included foam windscreens help to mitigate wind noise and plosives.
Our favorite applications for the SO.3 are Sound Design & Effects, Foley, and Instrument & Musical Recording. The SO.3 utilizes the admired Primo EM204 capsule, known by recordists and sound designers for its directionality, detail, and its effortlessly natural frequency response.
We’re excited to be able to provide a frequency response graph and response data table that is specific to the unique microphone capsule used in the SO.3
The SO.3 capsule enclosure is fabricated in-house and the SO.3 Microphone assembled by hand in NYC.
*The Primo EM204 capsule has been discontinued by Primo. As a result, only a limited quantity of the SO.3 Cardioid Microphones are available. Once they are gone, they are gone*
(1) SO.3 Microphone
(1) SO.3 Standard Attachable Foam Windscreen
Frequency Response Graph that is specific to the unique microphone capsule that you will receive.
*above quantity amounts will be doubled when ordering a matched stereo pair.
- Exceptionally low self noise
- Wide dynamic range and frequency response for accurate sound reproduction across the audio spectrum
-Balanced, transformerless output for increased immunity to noise over long cable runs
- Fantastic level of detail and clarity on-axis. High level of performance at rejecting rear sounds.
- Excels in studio and controlled environments. Ideal for Sound Design/Effects, Foley, and Instrument Recording. Performs well in the field with high level of wind protection. The SO.3 is highly sensitive and prone to wind and plosives.
- Can be used individually or as a matched pair. Stereo miking techniques yield spacious and accurate stereo fields.
- Small Form Factor
- Utilizes SO Standard Series Accessories
- Frequency Response Graph and Data unique to the specific capsule used in the mic that you receive.
- Industry Standard High Quality Components and Parts used. Neutrik Gold Pin Connectors/Amphenol 3.5mm plug, Mogami Shielded Cable
- Fabricated in house by hand in NYC.
*SO.3, SO.1, and SO.4 Accessories are interchangeable and cross compatible.
Capsule | Primo EM204
Polar Pattern | Cardioid
Frequency Response | 20hz - 20khz. (Spectrograms show extended range)
Signal to Noise Ratio | 78dB
Self Noise | 16dBA
Maximum Input SPL | 125dB
Dynamic Range | 109dB
Sensitivity | -31dB (+/- 3.0dB @ 1kHz) | Stereo Pairs are matched within 0.3dB @ 1kHz
Operating Voltage | 48v Phantom Power (IEC61938 Standard) with SO XLR Cable option only*. 3.5mm connector option operates on typical Plug In Power
*Included SO XLR cable contains special circuitry to allow microphone to interface with 48v Phantom Power. Third party cables XLR are not supported.
Enclosure | Black PLA Plastic & Nickel Plated Aluminum
Dimensions Unconnected | 45mm Length x 18.7mm Diameter
Dimensions Connected | 83mm Length x 18.7mm Diameter
Polarity | Positive pressure on the diaphragm produces positive voltage on XLR Pin 2. XLR Option only.
Operating Temperature Range | -10°C ~ +50°C
Storage Temperature Range | -20°C ~ +70°C
Cable | Shielded, Mogami, 6 ft length terminated with a three-pin industry standard XLR male connector, Gold Plated.* OR Amphenol Mono/Stereo 3.5mm connector
*SO XLR cable contains special circuitry to allow microphone to interface with 48v Phantom Power. Third party cables XLR are not supported.
*all recordings made with the SO.3 plugged into a Sound Devices Mix Pre-6 II. The recordings contain no post-processing
Be sure to check out our resource wiki for additional information, contents and downloads.